Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Vegetarian Wedding Attire

Planning a non-crunchy vegetarian wedding is very challenging. If it was to be a patchouli pot-luck affair held in a verdant forest - no problem. But a vegan wedding, held with all the socially approved accoutrements is probably impossible. If anyone ends up here randomly in the hope of finding footsteps to travel in - forget it.

Its proving extremely difficult finding a formal black suit to get married in. I'm trying to find one that does not contain wool as there is too much ovine misery involved. At the same time I am under strict instructions that it be a 'normal' cut, plain black and not strangely shiney like polyester. Linen is out as its beautiful drape becomes a crumpled mess at the first hint of movement.

You'd think that finding a cotton/polyester blend wouldn't be too hard. Or perhaps an innovative mix of synthetics which didn't reflect light like a disco ball. My ideal would be tencel. Ahh... a tencel suit... the holy grail of vegan suit shopping.

Now you'd think that PETA, in the throes of a campaign against Australian wool, would have sympathetic words and suggestions - if not links! - to retailers stocking vegetarian wedding ware. Nope. In fact when I wrote to ask for suggestions, I was gently told that sometimes its necessary to compromise.

Compromise! I'm not throwing in the gauntlet yet. So in the coming days, mixed in with the insightful comments about Israeli politics and international affairs, I intend to relate the heartbreaking saga of my quest to get married in a really sharp looking, 100% vegetarian, formal black suit.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

adam and eve weren't wearing anything. it's stylish and cruelty free.

9:36 AM  
Blogger sheikh X said...

i'll suggest that to my mother in law.

2:45 PM  
Blogger shoshana said...

vegan wedding suit makes me think creative. polyester does not. well, well goodluck!

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A suit made of tar or salt should do the deed. Both are suitable fabrics.
Or silicon - you would look like a Star Wars character, the bravery would shine through it.

12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did Adam and Eve have Jewish wedding in New Jersey?

12:07 AM  
Blogger Maryjamie said...

Wow I wish I could help you. It's funny because PETA pisses off the general public by being too radical, but then it pisses off a lot of vegans for asking people to compromise! Their "I can't believe it's vegan" list is especially misleading. I hope you didn't give up and that you found something.

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home