Sunday, March 13, 2005

Humor, H-Bombs and the Sorry State of Irony

Ahh the internet at play. Somebody on a jihadi website posted instructions on how to build an nuclear bomb at home. This was reported by the Arab News who described the poster as someone "whose expertise veers toward chemical warfare, shows a marked emphasis in making gas bombs." Next, Internet Haganah did some digging round and discovered that "There are other items of concern on this forum, such as the following discussion of poison gas". The story made the rounds on the blogosphere, in fact the identity of the original poster was cunningly ferreted out - until somebody finally pointed out in a comment on the Jawa Report that the 'instructions' were no more than a 10 year old humour piece which contains the following giveaway section that somehow, everybody above failed to realize wasn't intended seriously...
Is It For You?

Let's be honest. The H-bomb isn't for everyone. Frankly there are people who can't handle it. They break out in hives at the very mention of mega-death, fallout, or radiation sickness. The following quiz will help you find out whether you have what it takes for home H-bomb ownership. If you can answer 'yes' to six or more of these questions, then you're emotionally eligible to join the nuclear club. If not, a more conventional weapon may be more your cup of tea, try botulism-toxin, laser rays, or nerve gas.

1. I ignore the demands of others.
2. I subscribe to one or more of the following: Soldier of Fortune, Hustler, Popular Mechanics, Self.
3. Though I have many interesting acquaintances, I am my own best friend.
4. I know what to say after you say 'Hello,' but I am seldom interested in pursuing the conversation.
5. I have seen the movie 'The Deer Hunter' more than once.
6. I know that everyone can be a winner if they want to, and I resent whiners.
7. I own one or more of the following: handgun, video game, trash compactor, snowmobile.
8. I am convinced that leukemia is psychosomatic.
9. I am aware that most vegetarians are sexually impotent.
10. I have read evidence that solar energy is a Communist conspiracy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home