Thursday, December 29, 2005

Turkishness Under Assault by Post-Modernist Author

I have Pamuk's book, 'My Name is Red', in a large stack waiting to be read. It has the discouraging appearance of a post-modern sort of text: a zillion short chapters with headings like 'I am a tree' and 'I am called "Stork"'. Nevertheless, the plot, a murder mystery set in Ottoman Turkey, sounds very appealing. Hard to really say whether he discredits Turkey until I've read it - but I'll be sure to let y'all know...
Turkish prosecutors decided not to file charges against novelist Orhan Pamuk for allegedly insulting Turkey's armed forces, but the writer still faces charges that he insulted 'Turkishness,' said lawyers who asked for his trial.
CNN.com - Turkey drops case against author

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home